We started this trip fully intending to boondock for 10 days on Lone Rock Beach with our Friends Phil and Stacy from You, Me & the RV. But, nature and faulty equipment conspired against us!
Lone Rock Beach
Leaving Hurricane, Utah, we timed our driving to arrive around the same time at Lone Rock to meet Phil and Stacy. Once we rallied at the parking lot, we scouted in their jeep to find a site and a path to that site. Finding a path without tons of sugar sand is super important! We saw tones of people get stuck in the sand, albeit most of those were down on the lower level near the water. We got set up in a nice V formation and that was the end of things going well!
Our first full day was not too bad. Temps were warm but low enough to leave windows open and head out to scout the marinas we'd planned on visiting. While scouting Antelope Point Marina, we discovered a new RV Park with full hookups that did not exist last time we were here in 2019 and was still not listed in Google or RV Trip Wizard. We took note of this as a potential backup location if it got too hot on Lone Rock.
The next day was both hot and had a sand/wind storm! Even though we had our new solar install, we knew with temps in the 90's we'd need to use the generator to run 3 ACs during the day. This is where things go amiss. Our inverter (still our GoPower inverter at this point) kept trying to take over from the generator and invert. With all 3 ACs running, of course, it would overload and fail. No matter what settings we tried on the inverter, it would consistently take over. 😞 Remember that backup location? 😊
Antelope Point Marina RV Park
The day after the sand storm, we knew it was time to throw in the towel on this boondocking experiment! We booked full hookup sites at Antelope Point and made the move!
This move turned out to be just what we needed! Not only did we now have full hookups in heat approaching triple digits, but we were also very close to the marina which has a restaurant and bar! While it is a VERY long hike down to the marina, guests of the RV park have full access to the courtesy golf cart shuttle. Just call them up and order a lift and boom! Down to the marina, easy easy!
We took advantage of this lift a few times for dinner, boat browsing, and eventually, our kayak trip!
Lake Powell Boating
While our original plan was to rent a houseboat for a week (we planned way too late), we were at least able to reserve a bowrider boat to have a day of fun on the lake! Had we known we'd be staying at antelope point, we would have rented the boat there, but we'd rented it at Wahweap.
The lake was very busy, which means lots of chop on the water, but we had a blast exploring around lone rock, lake Powell!
Kayaking Antelope Canyon
The last day of our trip was a kayak trip to Antelope Canyon. At the time, the canyon was only accessible via the water. We took our new (version 2) Oru Haven Kayak and Phil and Stacy rented one from the marina.
It's a bit of a distance through very rough waters to get to the mouth of the canyon. But, once there, it's a no-wake zone and much easier. Easier, that is, if your kayak doesn't leak which Phil and Stacy's rental DID! After tons of laughs at their expense, a viewer and air force vet bailed them out (literally) and. we were back on the water!
The sinking kayak set us back a bit and we didn't get to kayak the whole distance, but we did have fun and really enjoyed not sinking in our Oru! In fact, it handles the very choppy water admirably!
- Zion National Park! (Private Helicopter Tour!): youtu.be/lx6abwIgOT8
- Hiking The NARROWS! (Zion National Park Part 2): youtu.be/pZhmOBZaaBs
- INSANE Angels Landing Hike! (Zion National Park Part 3): youtu.be/qMbg7Gv2lW0
- Lone Rock Beach Camping (BOONDOCKING) How We Find These Sites (You, Me & the RV): youtu.be/7ZoZ1__qUPo
- Best Full Hookup Campground (LAKE POWELL) (You, Me & the RV): youtu.be/q4yQXR0fBGk
- Tow Car Breakdown in the Middle of Nowhere (FULL TIME RV) (You, Me & the RV): youtu.be/sTe8MLbJzSs
- ☀️ RV Solar Install! 😎 : youtu.be/hdtC2XZ8z-g
- 🔋⚡️🔌 RV Inverter Upgrade! (Victron Multiplus II 12V 2×120 and CerboGX!): youtu.be/g2g8dDxAumE
- Boondocking on Lone Rock Beach, Utah! (2019): youtu.be/IVJx2T1WJC0
- Antelope Point Marina RV Park: antelopepointlakepowell.com/explore-lake-powell/rv-park/
- Antelope Point Marina: antelopepointlakepowell.com/
- Wahweap Marina: www.lakepowellmarinas.com/wahweap-marina/overview/
- Our Haven Kayak (our tandem kayak): changinglanesrv.com/oru-haven
- Oru Kayaks: changinglanesrv.com/oru
Some of the links/codes on this page are affiliate links, which means if you chose to make a purchase using our links, we will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you but helps us keep providing the content we love to share. We recommend these products because we have found them to be helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make.
Every product we recommend, we use ourselves.