Continuing our adventures in Zion National Park with Chad's daughters, this week, we share our hike of The Narrows and an old silver mining ghost town!
Zion National Park can be a bit confusing when it comes to accessing the hikes on the scenic drive. Both The Narrows and Angels Landing are on this road and it is NOT driveable by private vehicle. Depending on the time of year and varying COVID restrictions, the only way to access the scenic drive is via park shuttle, bike, or walking.
While we were visiting, there was an additional option of hiring a private shuttle, and that's what we did. We used Zion Guru for both the shuttle and gear rental. Zion Guru was awesome! They took care of us on what gear we would need. This can very day by day. We rented the special sticky climbing shoes and a pole. We were VERY happy we did!
We decided to go against all recommendations to get out early and went in the afternoon. We didn't even pick up our gear till around 4 PM! This turned out to be a great move! After passing the crowds on their way back downriver, the hike was sparsely populated. By the time we were ready to turn around and make the trek back, we had the place (almost) to ourselves!
This hike is AMAZING and well worth all of the challenges in access and timing.
Silver Reef (Ghost Town)
The day after our big hike of The Narrows, we decided to head just up the road a few miles from the RV Park to see an old silver mining town (ghost town), Silver Reef.
It was a super hot day, so we didn't take all of the outside self-tour. However, the inside tour (in the AC) was very entertaining and enlightening.
- Zion National Park! (Private Helicopter Tour!): youtu.be/lx6abwIgOT8
- Zion National Park (Motorcycle Ride)!: youtu.be/3wct2kz2724
- The Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour!: youtu.be/OGw9sznj-to
- RV Spare Parts!: youtu.be/BDPKSLSyB9w
- Zion Guru: www.zionguru.com/
- Zion National Park: www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm
- The Narrows: www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/thenarrows.htm
- Silver Reef: www.silverreefutah.org/
- St. George / Hurricane KOA: koa.com/campgrounds/st-george/
- Chad's CamelBack Hydration Backpack: amzn.to/3uaMZHJ
- Tara and the girls hydration backpacks: amzn.to/3zFplnS
- All of our camera gear, including backpack mounts for canon and gopro: changinglanesrv.com/faq/?Display_FAQ=1752
- Air Admittance Valve (1-1/2inch): amzn.to/3szLuSw
Some of the links/codes on this page are affiliate links, which means if you chose to make a purchase using our links, we will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you but helps us keep providing the content we love to share. We recommend these products because we have found them to be helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make.
Every product we recommend, we use ourselves.