We've been to the Florida Keys and Key West countless times now, and we still find new things to do!
Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
Tucked away in the southwest corner of Key West, we've somehow missed this place in all of our previous Key West adventures. Turns out, we've missed a LOT! This was an amazing way to spend the day!
The fort itself is really cool and boasts the largest collection of Civil War canons! We explored the fort for about an hour, then headed to the beach.
We used to think that Smather's Beach was the best “beachy” beach in Key West. That distinction (in our opinion) now goes to Fort Zach! While not as large as Smathers, it has a lot more privacy and tons of shade.
Definitely a must see!
Of course, we did a lot more kayaking in our Oru Kayak! This time, we tried something different, launching it at the 11th Street Boat Ramp and hitting the canals. It was neat seeing some of the new town houses from the water.
After bailing on launching from the busy waters near Mallory Square, we decided to take advantage of our RV's location again and paddle over to Boca Chica. We were prohibited from entering the marina since it's a military base, so we skirted it and headed back. It was an awesome sunset paddle!
- Full Time RV Key West (part 1) – youtu.be/i5pVl8PIwCE
- All of our Key West Videos! – changinglanesrv.com/?s=key+west
- Fort Zachary Taylor Park – www.fortzacharytaylor.com/
- Phil and Stacy (You, Me & the RV) Military Campgrounds: youtu.be/uLyoNq96CAw
- Oru Kayak – changinglanesrv.com/oru
- Onyx A/M-24 Automatic/Manual Inflatable Life Jacket – amzn.to/3cpx29b
- Outward Hound Dog Life Jackets (Daisy's Life Jacket) – amzn.to/3suiSsR
Some of the links/codes on this page are affiliate links, which means if you chose to make a purchase using our links, we will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you but helps us keep providing the content we love to share. We recommend these products because we have found them to be helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make.
Every product we recommend, we use ourselves.