It's always a bit of a bummer when it's time to leave the Florida Keys. 😔 But, the upside is, we're staying in Florida and headed to camp with friends! 😀
Our purpose for heading to Vero Beach was to meet up with our New Hampshire friends, Ron and Cindy Lou as well as, Phils and Stacy (You, Me & the RV)!
We stayed at Sunshine Travel RV Resort, which is a thousand trails property (we are not members). Like many RV resorts in Florida, this one had a majority population of seasonal and permanent residents. Sometimes this can give an RV park more of a trailer park vibe but that was not the case here. While small and packed in, the sites were very well kept and the park had many amenities.
Much of our visit was just working and hanging out with friends, but we did get out on the kayak after about a week of just staying in. We launched at the Bayside Marina because they rent kayaks (for our kayak-less friends), and it seemed like a good spot to kayak around some mangroves. The location turned out to be just ok, but it was awesome kayaking with friends!
On the way home, we decided to check out Sebastian Inlet State Park. Most of the sites were too small for us, but we did find one or two that might fit us. Overall it looked like a great park!
The very next day, we got out on our Lectric E-Bikes to a biking trail called Jungle Trail. The map showed it running along the water, but the view was always blocked by mangroves and other vegetation, making it a bit of a boring ride. So, we decided to go get some lunch and afternoon libations at Squid Lips.
After a couple of weeks with friends, we headed to Orlando for some long needed doctor visits for Tara. We booked the closest location to her doctor, which turned out to be Bill Frederick Park At Turkey Lake. For $20 a night we were not expecting much. We were WRONG!
Bill Frederick Park At Turkey Lake is AMAZING! It's a huge park with tons to do, AND it's minutes from just about any Orlando theme park you can think of. It's only 4.4 miles to Universal Studios and 17 miles to Disney's Magic Kingdom! What an amazing find! We were in a partial hookup site (no sewer) for $20 a night, but they also have 14 full hookup sites for $25!!
With tons of walking trails, a playground, a petting zoo, disc golf, a “drone” zone, and tons of picnic pavilions, Bill Frederick Park At Turkey Lake is a clear WINNER! 👍🏼
While we were in Orlando, we took the opportunity to visit one of our favorite kayaking spots, Wekiwa Springs State Park! As usual, we researched whether or not we could bring Daisy and the only restriction we found was for the spings and swimming area. However, when we arrived, we saw no dogs posted by the kayaks also. Rather than schlep Daisy back an hour home, we just took her anyway and never let her out of the boat. They really need to be more clear about pet restrictions on the website.
- Big Pine Key (Full Time RV in the Florida Keys!) – youtu.be/D3UFQ4pI6Js
- All of Our Key West Videos! – changinglanesrv.com/?s=key+west
- Austin Texas Meetup with You, Me & the RV! (2019) – youtu.be/D_cjsvx28MA
- Blackstone Griddle! – youtu.be/SYetVBQwBdk
- MORryde Slide Trays– youtu.be/0nmJJQafPSQ
- Wekiwa Springs State Park Camping – youtu.be/MSSlkSjnUsE
- You, Me & the RV (Phil and Stacy) – www.youtube.com/YouMetheRV
- Sunshine Travel RV Resort – www.rvonthego.com/florida/sunshine-travel-rv-resort/
- Surfside Grill and Adventures (Kayak and boar rentals) – surfsidegrillandadventures.com/rentals/
- Sebastian Inlet State Park – www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/sebastian-inlet-state-park
- Squid Lips Sebastian – www.squidlipsgrill.com/sebastian-squid-lips/
- Bill Frederick Park At Turkey Lake – www.orlando.gov/Parks-the-Environment/Directory/Bill-Frederick-Park-At-Turkey-Lake
- Wekiwa Springs State Park – www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/wekiwa-springs-state-park
- ORU Kayak – changinglanesrv.com/oru
- Onyx A/M-24 Automatic/Manual Inflatable Life Jacket – amzn.to/3gU9ZWP
- Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket – amzn.to/3e8MreS
- Lectric E-Bikes – changinglanesrv.com/lectric
- Smart Communications Cycling Helmets – Sena R1 – amzn.to/2QFPgLN
- Blackstone 22 Inch – amzn.to/3udtdKQ
- Yukon Glory Stainless Steel Griddle Caddy – amzn.to/3aY5M0p
- Our Drone (Mavic Air 2) – amzn.to/3nG61SO
Some of the links/codes on this page are affiliate links, which means if you chose to make a purchase using our links, we will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you but helps us keep providing the content we love to share. We recommend these products because we have found them to be helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make.
Every product we recommend, we use ourselves.